Monday, November 2, 2009

The Poor Dog in the Alley



There's a wonderful yet unfortunate dog that lives in a dirty, shantily fenced yard opposite the alley behind my house in Pigtown. I call him Scoobers. Scoobers is the alley "alarm" and obviously chosen by his owner for this quality. But sadly, nothing else. Day after day, Scoobers sits in the backyard alone with his dog igloo and two overturned steel food bowls that never seem to be clean or full. No toys, no treats, no walks, no affection. The only time I've seen Scoobers' owner was when he scolded Scoobers for barking excessively and for running away. So many times I thought to call Animal Control to help, but I'm fearful that they'll euthanize him. So, I try to check in on Scoobers daily to make sure he has fresh water and a little affection. Scoobers is friendly despite his dire condition. Hungry for attention, and probably to escape the smell of his backyard, Scoobers often sneaks outside his fence to sit in the alley. His leash is far too short for this feat, and today, I went outside to see that he was caught in the fence to the point of choking. After freeing him once earlier today, my boyfriend found him caught again and decided to videotape it. I really, truly hope that Scoobers will find a better home and some happiness in his life. I wish we could adopt him.

1 comment:

Hugo Chavez said...

Have you tried talking to the owner? Let them know you are concerned and offer to take the dog for walks or help build a doghouse if you have time and resources. Sometimes a friendly chat with the owner can make a difference. I'd talk to the owner in a way that doesn't put them on the defensive. Sometimes that is enough to shame them into doing something. They may even decide to give the dog up and agree to let you help find a new home.