Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Living Solo in Pigtown (April 3, 2011)



Last week I saw a blue VW Jetta depart with my now ex, one of our pets, and their belongings bound for California. Although we prepared for this transition (and parted as friends), it is a difficult situation that is bringing unwelcome change.

So, it's back to living solo in Pigtown. Back to sleeping with the light on, the home security system activated at all time, and my weapons loaded and ready to blaze. Ok...joking! Well, not really. There is no doubt that coupledom saved me from some creepy ass situations, and combined with a healthy amount of paranoia, I'm not one to underestimate an area where home invasions can and have happened--7 rowhouses down across the street in Dec. 2008. It's not to say that you stop living your life, but staying aware is a must.

Anyway, let's see if my blog posts get meatier with me becoming more vigilant and all.

Maybe I'll get a roommate. Hmmm.

3 comments:

Hugo Chavez said...

Sorry about the boy and more importantly sorry about the dog :( For safety I suggest you install energy efficient CFL bulbs and keep at least one light on indoors all the time. Try to make it look like someone is home when you go out. Oh and bars on the windows and security storm doors with a steel frame that can't be taken off the hinges from the outside. I can't emphasize this enough. In my 18 years in Pigtown I've never had a problem and I believe this is why. Unless they take a ladder to the second floor they can't get in. Of course if a would-be robber happens to be wandering about with a 40ft ladder I'm in trouble!

Ninaas said...

Thank you for the kind words AND safety tips. I am doing all of the above (and more) with the exception of bars. BTW, there was a ladder-using thief responsible for a lot of thefts back in 2007 or so...scary stuff. Fortunately, it doesn't cost much more to get your security service to add sensors to the upstairs windows.

Hugo Chavez said...

My neighbor was broken into by a thief using a ladder to the second floor. I thought it was an isolated incident though. If I remember correctly I think there was a ladder laying about from construction nearby and they saw an open window and put 2 and 2 together... But thieves actually carrying around 40ft ladders? Who would've thought? I guess nothing should surprise me.

Think about those bars. Alarms only go off after the robbery is already in progress. Good quality bars stop them from coming in in the first place. The ones I have can be opened from the inside in an emergency if you need to get out. They are fire escape bars. You push a button on the interior wall which cannot be accessed from outside and they pop open.

Take care and be safe!